Friday, January 21, 2011

What a crazy Craze!!!

I love a good, quick, crafty, cheap and fun project!!  After being inspired by the company Home a la Mode, I went to Walmart and bought:
You see, I have NEVER really liked Sock Monkeys.  I mean, they are monkeys made of Men's socks right??  Until at Home a la Mode I saw all these cute, cute, cute ones!  Pink, purple, polka-dot...etc....Okay, I am now officially Sock Monkey Crazed!!!  I decided to turn those $3 socks (which came with buttons on them already...yay for eyes included) into some of our very own sock monkeys!

So I enlisted some help (we used this tutorial)

 It was pretty fun! 
And following it (with just a couple of adjustments because of the size of my socks, etc) we made these:


Now, the first time I make things there are always oopsies like:
*the tails are EXTREMELY long                       
*The eyes are maybe too high?                          
*In a couple of places the stitching is sort of bad

I had to finish them while the girls were in bed, so they didn't get them until the next morning....and I knew that all my oopsies weren't so bad when I got these morning smiles!!
(love that morning hair, don't you!!!)
And, if you follow my other blog, about our family you will know what a fashionista my oldest daughter is.  I had a little extra "sock" left from the 2 pairs I had made the monkeys out of...and she "styled" hers! 
Anyway, I would say this project was for any level sewer (from beginner to more experienced) and was super fun!  Stuffing the polyfill was probably my least favorite part because I couldn't seem to get it very even.  All-in-all it was a fun, cheap ($7 total for both monkeys) and pretty quick project!  Go make some sock monkeys, or go to Etsy or Home a la Mode and find some really cute ones for sale (they are all about $30 though)!
I am off to get some housework done while my girls nap!

1 comments:

Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

I love how you are willing to give any project a chance and you have found some great ones!! Super cute!!!