Saturday, January 29, 2011

From Inspiration to Creation

First, I have to start out with my Inspiration from Etsy....Pretty sassy shirt huh:)
Click on the picture to be taken right to her shop so you can buy one if you want...or....make your own like I did!  Mini-tutorial in this post!

The picture of the shirt is from the etsy store Snuggle Bug Kidz

Here is my Creation:
And here is my "How-To"
Please don't judge too harshly, this is my first attempt at a tutorial:
 First, get your green ribbon (mine was from Hobby Lobby) and pin it on your shirt like a flower stem.
Making sure to fold the end under the shirt and pin in place there too.

Add your leaves by taking smaller pieces of ribbon and making 2 loops.  Pin them under the stem.

Use a zig-zag stitch with green thread and just start from the bottom and sew to the top of the stem (catching the "leaves" in your stitch).

Take some fabric glue (this is all I had on hand, it seemed to work) and a sparkly rhinestone and glue the rhinestone to the middle of the flower you buy to attach at the top.  (This flower was at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 and I had a 40% off coupon that I got here, there is a different coupon each week, so sometimes it is 40% off).

The flower I bought had a pin and a hair clip on the back for attaching to hair, hats, headbands...etc...

And Voila!!!  You have made your own custom Interchangeable flower Valentine (or not valentine) shirt, which did NOT cost you $24.99!  My total cost was around $11.  The shirt was $7 from Old Navy, Flower pin was $3(with the coupon) and the ribbon was $1 from Hobby Lobby (it was 50% off) and there was enough ribbon to do 2 shirts and have some left over.

  Here is another shot of the finished product:)

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or problems trying to make this:)  I'll help if I can!!

5 comments:

Jenny Garland said...

Fabulous! Love this and great job on the tutorial, friend :)

PS - Kyndall's hair is so pretty like that!

Unknown said...

That is so stinkin cute! Great job.

April said...

super cute! I might have to make one for my niece! :) am I too old to wear one??? lol

Kristi Kelly said...

No April!!! My friend Tanya said the same thing...we should all make our own grown up ones togeter:) I feel a crafty get-together in our near future:)

Liberty said...

I have also put this on a little purse for myself... why should our daughters have all the fun, right? Your shirt turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!

xxoo,
Liberty
www.libertyoriginal.blogspot.com